Get The Beast
Prices and Availability
The Mode-S Beast is available via two web shops:
Rainer and Michael's Web Shop
Maybe you want to play with the Funcube Dongle
in the mean time, which is a nice airband receiver, too.
If you have a valid EU VAT ID, please let me know.
My VAT tax ID is DE 189 543 554 B
- If your Mode-S beast does not work, for the first return for check and bring-up
I will charge you only reduced shipping costs since we can reuse package.
- Also firmware updates are done for reduced shipping costs only.
- There is no guarantee that this unit works in all situations.
I am of course interested in as many reports as I can get,
but for example up to now I did not test it at the fence of an airport,
even I strongly believe it works there. None of the 8 V0.1 and 3 V1.0 units showed problems by itself,
just the Bluetooth and the Xport Interfaces showed up as a little bit tricky.
- Reflections or other propagation effects may degrade reception quite heavily.
This will happen with all receivers, not just the Mode-S Beast
- Operating with Bluetooth will degrade the reception range and frame rate.
- Even when bringing this unit into operation is easy, it is not a plug-and-play unit.
I am willing to support you up to a certain degree, and I will also set up a Yahoo user forum,
but I surely cannot handle each minor problem as professionals would be able to.
- I am not responsible for any consequences or misuse of the unit by whatever means.
This is a hobby project with primary focus on the fascination of air traffic
and the technical possiblities but not on making money.
- This unit is not specified for any use of navigation within air traffic,
and if ever used as such, it is for informational purposes but does not provide reliable data
for navigating in air space.
- I still have my primary job and that is what I live from,
so service and shipping time might be adjusted to this and not vice versa.
From the number of PICADSB that I've provided to the community just 1 really was not working
by still unknown reasons, about 5 returned with different symptoms induced by the user
and were easily brought into operation by me and returned.
- According to Directive 1999/5/EC on Radio and telecommunications terminal,
Annex I, this kit is a "Kit to be assembled by radio amateurs".